Sleep Apnea Granada Hills
At Paradise Dental, we care even for your non-dental problems which can be treated by dental means.
Sleep apnea is a condition in which breathing is impaired during sleep, with the breaks in breathing called “apnea”. This may be due to:
- The lower jaw falling back while laying down
- The tongue encroaching upon the back of the throat
- Excessive growth of the soft palate tissue
Sleep apnea can greatly compromise the amount the oxygen received by the brain throughout the night, leading to daytime sleepiness, fatigue and sleep disturbances. One’s overall mental and physical health can be impaired by the deleterious effects of lack of sleep.
How we can help
Our general dentist will assess the problem and provide the relevant treatment options to your case. These may be in the form of:
- Behavioral therapy, advising against alcohol and sedatives which can relax throat muscles and decrease the amount of oxygen entering the system by collapsing the airway.
- Medications to lower blood pH, which encourages respiration.
- Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT) through the fabrication of custom-made oral appliances called Mandibular Advancement Splints. These position the lower jaw forward and open the bite between the teeth, allowing better passage of air into the airway.
- Oral surgery to remove excessive growth of the soft palate tissue.